Thread: Dungeons and Dragons MMORPG

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "

Dungeons and Dragons MMORPG

Anyone else in the Beta? I got my acceptance letter yesterday (with link to download) and it launches tonight.

I'll post my mini-review (highly illegal I guess) after I try it out.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

This is a blurb from the announcement for tonight's event:

The streets and taverns of Stormreach are abuzz with the news of a successful expedition to the interior of Xen'drik by House Phiralan, the elven House of Shadow. Word has it that their journey yielded several ancient and powerful artifcats, not the least of which is the legendary d20 of Many Things*. An unassuming object of almost otherworldly power that the giants used in epic games where they gambled with fate itself, the d20 was believed to have been lost 40,000 years ago during the severing of Dal Quor, the Plane of Dreams, and the ensuing cataclysm.

In order to celebrate their discovery, the scions of House Phiarlan have announced that house entertainers will be demonstrating the power of the d20 to the adventurers of Stormreach this coming Thursday, December 8th, from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern time. The lucky adventurers that House Phiarlan "finds" in the dungeons of Stormreach will receive great experience and wealth, as dictated by the d20 itself.

So come on out this Thursday and see if you get lucky.

* - d20 of Many Things is not actually in game

We will be holding a player event this Thursday, December 8th, from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern time. During this time, Turbine admins will be logged in to the Beta and looking for players who are adventuring in dungeons.

If we find you in a dungeon, you and everyone in your party will be given bonus experience points, and a chance for some cool items. What kind of cool items? Only the d20 of Many Things knows! Once we've found an eligible party, we will roll a d20 (only one roll per party, please) to determine the exact experience amount and type of items rewarded. The best rolls will come with some kind of challenge, with bonus rewards commensurate to the difficulty of the challenge. The die rolls and corresponding rewards are posted below.

Only players who are adventuring in a dungeon or another instanced area will be eligible. We expect to give out approximately 200 - 300 rewards, so not everyone will get the bonuses, many of you will! The only way to have a chance is to be logged in and adventuring in a dungeon, so don't be late!

Note that we expect to be giving players a LOT of experience points, in many cases a level's worth or more. Also, please understand that one of the goals of this event is to stress our servers under the new Beta 3.5 build. As such, please keep in mind that you may experience server connectivity and stability issues. If any significant issues arise we will update the launcher and post on the forums.

We hope to see all of you there and look forward to giving out lots of XP and loot!
    The sun has fallen down

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    I heard the gaming format is along the lines of how Guild Wars works. I forgot where I read the article about it. But I think it was 1up.com. I'm looking forward to what you can tell us about it Squid.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

That would be a serious disappointment if true. I didn't like the way things were handled in Guild Wars. Instancing everything the moment you left town. The world became a very dead place.
    The sun has fallen down

"don't any of you mutha-f'ers move!"
    -Yolanda, Pulp Fiction (1994)

I'm finally up to level 18 in Wow...If any of you even think about leaving WOW for DnD I'll simply bust.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Nuts

I'm finally up to level 18 in Wow...If any of you even think about leaving WOW for DnD I'll simply bust.
    No worries, I won't leave you high and dry. I have a level 16 Hunter that I need to focus on a bit more. I'll try to keep up to speed and quest with you.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Still waiting for Fallout Online. </taps foot>

[AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Nuts

DnD is in beta... it'll be a while before it hits stores. I'm just going to take a look to see what it's like.
    The sun has fallen down

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

They had a stress test for D&D Online that I participated in a couple weeks ago. I wasn't impressed, but much is likely to be different when the game actually ships.

Yeah, I got in the beta a while ago, (got a free key from the turbine guys when I was at PAX).. played around with it a bit, but it seemed pretty dry. From what I can recall: Lvl cap is 10. Pretty much mostly a dungeon crawler game, where *all* dungeons are instances. H potions are pretty rare, Mana potions are obscenely rare, so going into dungeons you pretty much go in with the hp/mp and have just that to last the entire instance, with no regen - although certain instances have 1 one time recharge stone to recover hp/mp..

Not my cup 'o tea.

I don't even have it installed any more, so if anyone wants to d/l the client - I'll give ya my login info.
    Ditguidice - Hand of A'dal, Champion of the Naaru ///// Soulquencher - Hand of A'dal, Knight Captain.

"I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many comprimisises already, too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assmilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

I played through the newbie area, and got access to the larger town. I like it better than Guild Wars, but not as much as WoW... There's some potential there, but it doesn't seem as deep. I'm not a big fan of the rest stones. Seems kind of illogical that every cave would have these stones that you huddle around to recover health.
    The sun has fallen down