3 20.00%
  • Isaac is being a hypocrite

8 53.33%
  • Good riddens Isaac do not let the door hit you on the way out

2 13.33%

Thread: Chef quits "South Park"

Illusive Late Poster Bassiswild's Avatar

Chef quits "South Park"

I was reading the news and I came across the story that said that Isaac Hayes quit "South Park". I am so bummed out about that. To me "South Park" is one of the greatest shows ever, and to lose a character such as Chef is not good. It is a shame that Matt and Trey can't sit down and work on a compromise with Isaac. I will cross my fingers and hope that everybody can sit down and work out their differences. I would hate for "South Park" to go down the tubes because of this. I am posting the article down below.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060313/...le_isaac_hayes
    Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park,'

Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

The sound is all about the wood and the pickups. Bartolini all the time...

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Just get someone that sounds like him. Don't get rid of Chef plz.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

It's funny....Hayes was interviewed on XM's Opie and Anthony show not too long ago, and a caller specifically asked him about the Scientology episode (which re-ran last night; I've got it on my Tivo), and the gist of his response was that he was fine with it, Matt and Trey spoof everything including all different sorts of religions, and you can't take what they do seriously. I've got the clip--if I can isolate it, I'll post it here--it's less than a minute long.

I wonder what made him turn so far around so fast.

Bribo--I'd go so far as to say they could use recycled clips of Chef from past episodes, so little has he done over the past couple seasons. But I have a funny feeling Matt and Trey won't just gloss over this on the show.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Here's the audio I promised. This is from an interview/listener Q&A on 12/19/05; this clip was rebroadcast yesterday.
    Attached Files Attached Files

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

His celebrity Scientology handlers told him to reverse his attitude, after he paid $3,000 for a couple of brainwashing sessions.
    [AK]Abaddon

Didn't Tom Cruise and John Travolta put the kabosh on the Scientology bashing episodes already?

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

That's what I'd heard as well, Chooz, but Comedy Central's rerunning it last night certainly seems to have quashed that rumor.

I heard they got it banned from showing in Europe and such. Maybe only late night showings for the U.S.?

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

This wasn't late-night, though--this was its usual 10 PM Eastern showing time.

It is a shame that Isaac is leaving. I liked the Chef character. I think when polotics especially in religon plays into something that has such a great thing going. I have noticed that the chef character has been appearing less and less in episodes. They should bring in a new character like chef. Maybe even the young Chef. I do not think that Isaac played younger Chef. In the world of South Park I think that it could happen. Just an idea.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Matt and Trey were on Letterman last night. They suspected that the show they did poking fun at Scientology might result in Isaac leaving. They were like "Oh well."
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

I am surprised that Isaac did not say anything about the episode where they killed Chef off. They were pretty rough on him, but had a nice euology about him.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

The new rumor is that Isaac was as caught by surprise over his quitting as everyone else, since he's been in no condition to do anything of the sort since suffering a stroke in January. According to the rumor story I saw (on Fox News, not some out-there rumor site), it's likely that one of his "people" actually wrote the resignation statement while he was rehabilitating. No idea how true that is, but it would explain his abrupt change in demeanor rather nicely.

I wonder if that is the first step for Isaac to make up with Matt and Trey. I actually hope so. I really liked the Chef character, even though he had not been in many episodes lately due to his stroke. Maybe Isaac is realizing how much South Park has helped his career. It will be interesting to see how things unfold.

P.S. Extremly jazzed about the Simpsons movie!