08. Mechwarrior 2
    07. Diablo series
    06. Starcraft
    05. Dark Forces series
    04. Fallout, Fallout 2
    03. X-Com: UFO Defense
    02. Civilization II
    01. Half-life

From PC Gamer...I think these guys are smoking rope. Best games all time? Please!!! This list is mis-guided.

I hear that man.
    Unreal series 37!!!!! no way! Best single player game ever, and CO-OP for gods sake. !!!CO-OP! and BOSSES!!!!!

and honestly no Thief:the dark project. thats completely insulting...

Tribes and Tribes2...49. ummmm *implied slap*

cripe Tomb Raider is actuially ON that list. wth...

Red alert series??? no im sorry, Red alert 2 was just junk.

Doom and Doom 2 should be first. that game is still fun to play.

Baldur's Gate series? yeah, the first time around. then its like being able to see into the future....lets see, i know this happens here so ill just make my guys form a circle around this area to get a jump on the enemys....

System shock needs to be closer to #1, alltime scary game and a patch was released for SS2 to make it multiplayer CO-OP.

(have i stressed CO-OP enough yet?)

No asteroids. no pong.

If there talking alltime best games for any system. there not even coming close.
    Contra 3 for the Snes. (if any of you guys havent played it i have an emulator, and the rom. its legal to have emulations of NES and SNES games now, even if you dont have the original cartridge.)
    Maniac mansion for the NES. also later released for the SNES slightly enhanced.

In fact, to cut this "short" im just going to say, there so off the mark, they must have shot the other direction...
    "Luck Does Not Go About In Search Of A Fool"
    - Andy Hudson in Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Maniac Mansion was a C64 game long before it came out for the NES. I had it.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Red face

Here's my $.02.

Personally, I think Starflight ... an ancient old game I ran on my Tandy 1000EX 8086 7.2-mhz computer, should be up in the top 10 somewhere. Star Control II (which lifted a good bit of its plot from Starflight) should be higher as well. Starflight and SC2 had some of the best plots ever.

And I LIKE Red Alert 2. Why is it junk? The graphics are far superior to any of the other C&C games. I just acquired Emperor: Battle for Dune from a friend yesterday, and it is also very good.

And apologies for not being on the net last night. For some reason, my ISP decided my account and password were invalid. You gotta hate ISPs without 24-hour tech support.

I also just installed Windows 2000 Pro, and nuked my first edition Win 98 install. Win 2000 is far, far superior so far.

Anyway, I'm rambling :-)

[AK]Abaddon
    [AK]Abaddon

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

And where, I say where is Interstate '76? That game brought me more fun than just about every other title I've ever bought combined. Sure, Nitro Pack and I'82 were utter piles of crap (largely due to their lack of support by the company that produced them--sound familiar?), but I'76 was the best time I've ever had in front of a computer screen.

Here since the Beginning HitMan's Avatar
    EXACTLY, Beast!

Also, how can they call them the best games "OF ALL TIME"???

I call that more so than not, The best games made within the last 5 years or so.

IMO the best game of all time was Tetris. I mean from a technological stand point, etc... What game was more addicting, what game kept you busy for so many hours?

Then there's Burger time, Super Mario Bros.

In my opinion, those guys are definately smoking rope.

HalfLife #1?! Why not just put Quake 2 #1?

It may be popular, but is BY FAR not the BEST.

I think it shows just how much magazines will ride the hype just to get more people to read it.
    Last edited by HitMan; 08-20-2001 at 11:28 AM.
    The HitMan
    -HM

i miss pc accelerator magazine. they were the best ****ing magazine in the world.

Abaddon, i think red alert 2 sucks because its a rehash of, what, the last three C&C games.
    going from the original C&C, to redalert was cool. everything was different. but wow look now my flamethrower dudes look better... (or more cartoonie depending) is not my idea of a better. Look aside the gameplay is the same. "unless you build a massive army of infantry in the beginning your dead. and the winning battle is allways decided by tanks.
    how do you honestly get run over by a tank in real life? even the best tanks only do 60 on a paved road, and they go considerably slower on any other terrain.
    i didnt like tiberian sun either, since i had more fun playing with the first games unbalanced ion cannon than i did with the second games unbalanced everything.

however Im as anti Westwood (now) as i am anti sierra.
    it disgusts me to want to buy Aliens vs predator 2. (to which the marine demo is out...GoGoGo!) Because serria owns Monolith Games now.

Westwood provides an online gaming (or attempts to depending) but they have no forums (to my knowledge) whith which to take criticism. so buggy and unresponsive it remains. Unlike battle.net (blizzard) which now hosts +50,000
    people on average. high traffic times means excess of 80,000 people. does it suck? sometimes, but they say there adding new servers all the time.

i bought red alert 2, soley because of multiplayer. i installed it played a network game. then tried the online version the next day.
    promptly packed it back up, and took it back.
    thank god i could. i played it for longer than i played my tiberian sun game though. if its of any consolation.
    Last edited by [AK]Garrett; 08-21-2001 at 02:13 PM.
    "Luck Does Not Go About In Search Of A Fool"
    - Andy Hudson in Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy.

August Knights

I think everyone has an initial love affair with the RTS formula. You love whatever RTS game first grabbed your interest. For me it was Warcraft 2, then Total Annihilation. But once the bloom is off the rose, you realize that every RTS is pretty much the same. They're all a mouse race to see who can nudge their stone-stupid units around the board the fastest.

So if Red Alert was your first RTS, then it would make sense that you loved it. I loved TA, but then I couldn't stand Starcraft when I got around to trying it. It's all about timing.
    Organize Aggressively,
    [AK]Leonidas

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Dune 2 was my first. God I loved that game.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.