Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dateline NBC

Dateline NBC

I googled all over the place and couldn't find the answer. My wife and I are watching this Catch a Predator show on NBC and can't figure out why these sicko's allow themselves to be taped. What are the consent laws involved with videotaping criminal suspects? You see that on Cops, they sometimes blur out people, and that's in public. Does anyone know about the consent laws?

If only all of these guys shared the same prison cell as this guy did:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/09/28/in...section=cnn_us

http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/taping.php

In general, the court considers that "public figures" and people who become involved in events of "public interest" have less of a right to privacy than do private persons. This will probably not apply to your ex, but it will also not restrict you from videotaping them in public, or as outlined in item (1) above.
    Last edited by Slaughter; 09-29-2006 at 10:19 PM.
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

One of the teachers I had in high school was caught on one of the earlier tapings of To Catch a Predator.

It boggles the mind what would make someone do something like that, epsecially after all the attention To Catch a Predator has gotten.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I heard an interview with Chris Hansen (the host) on the radio, and the show's hosts asked that exact question. In a nutshell, Dateline is a news program, Cops and other shows of that ilk are entertainment programs. Entertainment programs need releases; news shows do not. Seems like a thin-to-nonexistant line to me, but there you go.

News isn't entertainment? Again, I think it's great when they show their faces... heck they should say where he works and everything, really embarrass the crap out of him... but to say that Dateline isn't entertainment.... boy, I just don't buy that one.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I believe the explanation, but I'm with you; I don't buy the distinction.

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

First, these guys are using interest to lurker child. So,, they have already commited the crime. Second the Sicko's are not in their houses, they are entering "I assume" private property of the houses that already have given consent to video tape. So I can video tape anything I want on my property. No privacy issue. Want some candy?

True, but committing a crime is not consent to video taping. Just as judges don't allow cameras in court rooms and cops blur out some perps. And in a lot of places, you have to be informed that you are being recorded when not in public, hence a person's house is not public property. I saw a case recently where a guy was arrested for using a security camera at his front door to record a confrontation with a police officer that came to his house... they charged him with recording the officer with out his consent or knowledge.

I wonder if there's some kind of deal they work out with the DA... you give consent and we won't send you to pound you in the ass prison.

AK should recruit a lawyer that plays games!

August Knights

So I need a writen consent to video tape a criminal that enters my house? (Secutiry camera's or any other media) No way.... My house, My Video. For Sale to NBC? Absolutely.... My point is the owner of the house is the only consent needed I assume. Love to here more about it since you guys made me think about it.

Rick <---------------(not a legal person)

That's a good point.

I'm going to e-mail Dateline and ask them what the story is.

August Knights

So,, In light of this thread I talked to a defense lawyer that goes to my church and asked if he had any comments. Two schools of thought came from the conversation. First, the internet is public domain and protected by no privacy laws. So IM and Emails, he assumes, are free for anyone to read, due to the lack of these laws, IE publice domain. Secondly he agreed that video taping on your property doesn't need a criminals constent to be viewed.

Now he not sure how the video taping of the person in the police station could be done without that persons constent as well as other locations. So pleaing down charges could be in playing to get that video aired. The other way they could get all this aired, is if the whole program is an re-actment, thus actors playing the role of the sicko... Hmmmm
    Last edited by [AK]Rocks; 10-01-2006 at 12:04 PM.

I love it when dateline does these shows, and I did see that last one too. Nuts, did you see the preview of the "prominent San Fransisco Dr."? He was freaking out on the camera....

Man, they nabbed all sorts of people....it was freakin' awesome. And trust me when I say that it's nice to see people actually being taken down for this vileness, and not just having it swept under the rug like some companies I know...

Besides, I'm sure NBC's legal team was all over the airing.
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Last nights show can be viewed here in it's entirety:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15066391/
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Overpowered to the core! [AK]Bojan's Avatar
    Bleh reading that crap makes me sick to my stomache. I would probably just be pissed if I didnt have 2 girls at home, one only 4 years away from thier lil deecoy, now im going to be even more paranoid than I already am.

I can only imagen something like this happening let alone to my girls.

Bojan, there are plenty of controls out there to curb the exposure level. there are inexpensive keylogging programs, hardware keyloggers in the form of usb thumb drives and the like. In the battle of protection, know what they do.
    **I just have nothing cool enough to put here**