Thread: Super Bomb XXXV

Red face Super Bomb XXXV

I give up on the Super Bowl, and I think there's evidence to support the fact that marketing folk have too, but more on that later...

What I witnessed tonight was a group of show-boating, criminal, gang bangers on one side (i.e. the Baltimore Ravens) vs. a group of incompetant teenagers playing their first game of backyard football (i.e. the New York Giants). I was ashamed to admit that I am a football fan tonight, folks. The class, courage, and loyalty that players once showed on the field has diminished to nothing more than a group of barbarians trying to make it on next year's highlight reel. Did you know, that according to most *conservative* estimates, 1 in 5 NFL players has been found guilty of serious violations of the law, many involving spousal abuse and sexual misconduct against women? Oh, and let's not forget the MVP of the Super Bomb, one Mr. Ray Lewis, who pled guilty to a misdemeanor obstruction of justice charge, while even by his own omission, he witnessed the gangland slaying of two young men and aided the perpetrators of the crime by whisking them away in his limo. How's that for a comeback kid!?

Let's talk about performance for a second. Where were the Giants!? Yes, the Ravens defense is quite good; there's no denying that. However, the Giants might as well not even shown up for the game. Collins was 15 of 39, with 4 interceptions (tie for a Super Bowl record). The Giants moved the ball only 149 yards with their offensive unit, only twice as much yardage as the Ravens gave them in penalty yardage. By the end of the third quarter, they had moved the ball 10 yards in the second half. 10 YARDS! The Giants' special teams were the only bright spot in the performance, accounting for just over 200 yards. The mighty Ravens weren't without problems of their own. Despite the complete breakdown of the defense of the Giants time after time (and the continual abuse of Jason Sehorn), they only managed to put 244 yards in the stats. Dilfer was 12 of 26. Don't we expect more from professional athletes than a < 50% completion rate? Do we not expect 100 yard rushing games, 300 yard passing games, even with a respectable defensive showing? Forget it...I give up. It's not about the love of a game any more, it's about who gets the biggest salary, who drives the fanciest car, and who can beat up and cheat on their wife the most. It's about how many times you can rape your baby sitter, how many times you can kill your pregnant girlfriend, how many times the NFL stands blindly by as the game and the virtues that it once stood for gets flushed steadily down the toilet.

How about the usual media blitz that accompanies this annual event? It wasn't there this time. Budweiser bought up a full 50% of the ad space and showed rehashed versions of old commercials. It seems that the ad agencies got smart this year, and bought their time during Survivor. There were no highlights, no water-cooler moments. Just more of the same non-creative drivel that marketing folk churn out the rest of the year. The usual highlight of my Super Bowl experience was oddly absent this year.

In closing, I have to say that I'm disappointed to say the least. Football is not what it used to be, and I'm certain it will never be the same. Talent shouldn't be worshipped and glorified, it should be put to the use of the team. The team on the playing field, like the family in life, should be the essential building block of all great successes. That day, I'm sad to say, is over.

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

Here's looking forward to the XFL...

Superbowl?

Didn't watch it, I'm not into baseball.

ColorLightbulb

I share many issues that you bring up Zorro when it comes to major league sports in general. I stopped going to Pro Football games 4 years ago after a Monday night game Dolphins vs Steelers in Miami. The people in the stands forgot their manners or respect as soon as they drove into the parking lot. I couldn't enjoy the game with all the rude comments and gestures being committed. They were not directed at the players but at the women setting in the stands watching the game. Idiots!!!

Thank God there is college football , baseball, and basketball. I've gone to games all over this country and the crowds are 99% of the time okay...Except Flordia Gator fans. I can take my family to one of these events. It's very competitive, costs are good and the people are generally families...unless you sit in or near the student section.

There is coming a day when the pro athletes are going to strike for more money, etc. and destroy their way of life forever. Reminds me of our unions! Just as a coal miner!

[AK]NeverRetreat

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Talking

Oh, COME ON! The game certainly had some redeeming qualities; just look at the half time show. I have one word for you: NSYNC, baby! They put on one HELL of a show. Yeah, Aerosmith is okay, but they just can't match the raw talent, musicality, and overall genius of the phenomenon that is NSYNC. And Britney Spears? Forget about it! She makes Sarah Vaughn look like a crack whore singing karaoke. Incredible. Simply incredible.

------------------
    [AK]Palooka
    August Knights Administrator

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Monitor

Was the Stuporbowl this weekend? I missed it.

I've never been into sports that much anyway, but the scene has been in serious decline for a few years now. The Dallas Felons, er, Cowboys, were only the tip of the iceberg a few years back.

I heard from a friend that the players shouted profanities on national television when they came onto the field this year - and it was not edited out for some reason. Just more of the same ...

[AK]Abaddon

That is correct! Definite over-use of the F-word was heard during the introductions. Shameful.

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

SlAuGhTeR
    geez, hearing this makes me glad i missed most of the game and saw Survivor. Tribes had me tied up, but i was listening to the game.. kinda boring.

------------------
    Slaughter
    slaughter@wolfteam.com
    |aYg.Slaughter|
    'The slaughter fest has begun, punk.'

Slautganken - Lvl 9 Human Paladin
    Slaughterin - Lvl 5 Barbarian Warrior
    Slaughtarol - Lvl 7 Iskar Monk

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I watched the game, or at least most of it. I was in a car coming back from Dayton, Ohio, and I missed about the first 4 possessions of the game. But as Faxman can attest, I've been a Giants fan ever since I was old enough to know what football was. Add to that the fact that Kerry Collins is a Reading, PA native, just like Fax and I (in fact, he went to the school where my mother teaches.) Can't say I agree with what Zorro said about the Giants not showing up....they hung in there with Baltimore for quite a while. Take out two or three big plays, and Baltimore's score is considerably lower. They did quit, but really, it wasn't until after Baltimore got their kickoff return touchdown. Baltimore is a bunch of criminals, though. And hey...only one more week until the XFL!

------------------
    [AK]The Beast
    "Get busy livin'...or get busy dyin'." -Tim Robbins, The Shawshank Redemption

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Before anyone things that I'm some kind of freak, I'd like to point out that I was being sarcastic.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

ColorLightbulb

Hey Palooka,

Now, there's no need to try to hide your real feelings now. You've got it out in the open ... and we can get you help. :-)

[AK]Abaddon

Didn't watch the 'Bomb either - too busy playing Counter-Strike 5 hours straight for a tourny. No one remembers who wins the damn thing in say, seven years.

Wolff