Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCon aka DC for BF2

DCon aka DC for BF2

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A POST ABOUT WOW!

Desert Conflict was recently released for BF2. This is not the same team (Trauma) that created BF: DC, but by the fans and modders that helped make it one of the biggest mods ever.

DCon is basically an attempt to recreate DC using BF2. The maps and weps could not be ported over so they had to be created in BF2. I got a chance to play a few maps this afternoon and found it to be in pretty good shape for a first release. Ishallah Valley, 73Easting, Gazalla, El Al, Weapons Bunkers, Lost Village, & Desert Shield are out there now. The play is a bit a quicker than vanilla BF2 and they removed the radar/uav that ruined the game for snipers.

At about 700mb, it was worth the free download. I'll be playing more next month when the wife and kids go to her mom's for a few weeks. I hope to see some of you online.
    Last edited by [AK]Nuts; 04-08-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Nuts View Post
    NOTE: THIS IS NOT A POST ABOUT WOW!

THIS REPLY IS ALSO NOT ABOUT WOW! Hit backspace now!

Thanks Nuts, I'll check it out.

http://www.desert-conflict.org/

http://desert-conflict.org/forum/sho...3279#post73279

The Sandstorm has returned! The long anticipated Desert Conflict Mod for BF2 brings the classic feel of Desert Combat to the BF2 engine with its Alpha release.

You loved Desert Combat and longed for it to return within BF2. Done.
    You wanted skill to be a factor in BF2. Done.
    You wanted dumbfire missles for aircraft, handheld aa & ground based aa. Done.
    You wanted familiar vehicles. Done (and still adding more)
    You wanted Capture The Flag. Done
    You wanted the classic maps. Done
    You wanted Artillery brought back to the player. Done.

You wanted to play it. DONE
    Last edited by [AK]FiGHT*CLuB; 04-08-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Oh man, I will definitely have to give this a download sooner rather than later. I might be a little rusty but the chance to play all the classic maps just brings back a load of DC memories.

Off the top of my head I can remember trying to knife Camelwalk as much as possible, and always getting into sniper fights with Fight Club on Weapons Bunkers.

We should try and get together a DC reunion night.

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK?]DiscoStu View Post
    Off the top of my head I can remember trying to knife Camelwalk as much as possible,
    Was that before or after owning me in the planes stu!

Anyway real excited about this I will download for sure!

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    I may download this and give it a try.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

I played a little Lost Village last night. Nicely done but it's a bit jerky for me... may have to tweak settings. They've put back ammo boxes and health cabinets just like in DC. Weapon pickups are also available. Nothing like blowing blackhawks out of the sky!

Desert Shield (you'll recall this map had a north iraqi, southern american uncap flag with two northern flags on the north ridge and a center flag near some lakes). The put in the SCUD. The hind has a crap load of rockets... good fun.

Downloaded and going to play tonight about 8 pst.....if anyone wants to join the fun! Im really tried of WOW and just waiting for a game that I enjoy again! Those DC days were some of the best gaming I have ever done......... DC RIGS FTW

Crud... the frame drops that I experienced aren't my fault. Based on the forums, there may be a memory leak in the game:

http://www.desert-conflict.org/forum...ead.php?t=6255

This would explain why the game gets laggier and laggier.

Man I havnt played 6 hours strait in a looooong @ss time.. Man that brings back memories!. Its DC all over again.. same maps and strats. All my old ownem spots still worked. Had a blast..

Frame rates dropped in the begining but the longer I played the less I had. I am playing on my laptop and had no problems.... Well except flying the mini chopper. dam thats hard...

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

Son of A...!!! If I knew this was on the way, I wouldn't have passed on my BF2 CD's to my brother.

Doh!
    [insert signature text here]

Played with fight the other night and had a blast. I think im going to play DC alot more. Still in Alpha stage, and play was decent........playable. Maps are the same but the play seems faster, and models had way more detail, almost what we wanted from old DC. I really had a blast and I hope some more AK join in. I would love some ladder play so if we can get some AK to switch from WOW for an hour a night and get some pratice in before even beta stage I think we can have some fun and do well.

Wondering if we can get a sever up and running , not sure if Beast or Palooka can do that anymore, but let me know.

Hopefully I can jump on tomorrow night as well as this weekend.

I was a little out of date on patches but I am currently downloading the 1.41 patch. I believe that this is the latest one and if not could you guys please let me know.

Can't wait to see you guys online!

I got in a little "El Al" yesterday... most excellent. The MRLS at the middle flag, everyone armed with AT rounds... The apache sweeping in from the US flag.. manning the AA gun on the southern flag and laying mines all over the place. A-10's laying waste to T-90's. Most Most Excellent.

Now if they just fix the memory leak.

Also, I found a nice little utility: BF2 Cleaner that does a nice job getting rid of tmp files that stick around in BF2 (logos, old settings, etc) It's only 74kb (note, the link says 70mb... this is a typo). It's a C++ app that basically deletes BF2 files that you don't need including the annoying start up movies.

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Tools...-Cleaner.shtml

Also, I started using O&O defrag.. it does a much better job than DiskKeeper:
    http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/

Defragging your HD is a good way of decreasing the 'verify data' portion of BF2.

Yesterday, I also flashed the bios in my ATI X850 Pro video card to unlock 4 hidden pipes and then spent a while overclocking my card with the ATI Tool. At the end of the day, I can run on Medium (with a few 'High') versus running everything on Low like I have been.

Don't forget to use the AK Leader Board to find others online.

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

Loading today!

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Rocks View Post
    Loading today!
    I will be downloading tonight as well, this is a mod for WoW right?

August Knights Ventrilo status
    Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Canary ASS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein
    If you find yourself in a losing battle....your tactics suck!