Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried Operation Flashpoint yet?

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

Shades Has anyone tried Operation Flashpoint yet?

I was checking out some info sites on this game. From what I have seen I am very very impressed. I was thinking of picking it up soon if it is even out yet, I was not going to bother picking it up but after looking at the screenshots and reading a bit a about it... wow. And from what I have read all feature, say, the ability to be several different soldiers, driving tanks, flying a couple planes and helicoptor, trucks, jeeps and even a couple ships are in the game at realease. Plus, from what I have read, you don't need a super computer to run it (the min says 266Mhz but we all know about minimums).

Ok, I have about sold myself on it. If you haven't read anything about or seen screen shots here are the screenies I found at www.operation-flashpoint.net

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/flashp...creenshots.htm

Just wanted to find out if anyone has any experience with the game before I bother buying it. I have read to not bother with the demo as it does not show enough of the game to judge it. The battlefields are advertised as being pretty big too, but probably not WWIIOL scale (which is not a bad thing).

[AK]Widowmaker

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I'm seriously debating buying this game, myself. I have played the demo, and while I wasn't overly impressed, I did see the great potential. Of course, the demo was released (March 20) LONG before the game was finished, so it is probably not a very good indication of the final product. Flashpoint is getting very positive reviews. Check out these links:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...377887,00.html

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...tionflashpoint (If you've never been to this site before, check it out; it is an EXCELLENT source of reviews. I usually check this site before I go to any movie to make sure it is worth watching.)

I will probably pick this one up pretty soon.

Hey, didn't WWIIOnline get good reviews?
    [AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    AugustKnights.com WizOp

if we aren't supposed to eat animals,
    then why are they made out of meat?

unitedwestand

*IX*MeatHooK
    We have been playing the European version of Operation Flash Point (OFP) for awhile now. A few of our members are awaiting for the US release but the game is neat ... the only drawback is the WAIT when you die ... and the poor camera ... you esentially fly a seagull around ... which is very hard to control. I think there will be some significant improvement with the US release ... and thus a patch for the European version. Another drawback (European/UK version) is the lack of a decicated servers ... we have had to host our own servers for play.
    Last edited by *IX*MeatHooK; 09-11-2001 at 11:35 AM.

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

Shades

Bought it and tried it out. If this game were combined with WWII Online it would be the perfect game. So far from what I have played it is incredibly awsome. The controls take some getting used to but once you get used to not being able to jetpack or run at 60mph you'll do fine. The vehicle controls are a bit daunting. I try to use the joystick out of personal preference but it was realy designed to use keyboard and mouse for all controls and the joystick support may have been added in for the US release. That is not a bad thing, though. I think with a little work I can get used to the joystick, customizing through settings etc...

But what can I say? This game is truly awsome, buy it... nuff said.

[Ak]Widowmaker

Picked this up over the weekend. It has provided great entertainment. The single player stuff is good, I've made 4 maps that were easy to make and preview for any changes prior to saving them. I haven't done any of the online stuff yet. Good game!

NR

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

I bought it last week, and I'm on the last mission (I think) in the single player campaign. This game ROCKS! This is absolutely as close to real warfare as you're going to get on the PC, at least for now. There is great variety in the missions, tons of units and weapons, and the AI is superb (for the most part). I highly recommend Operation Flashpoint!

Another cool thing about OF is that it appears that it will have a strong mod community. There are already some nice looking mods in the works, like Operation Vietnam, for one. Check out AxleOnline, a great source of everything OF.

By the way, Wid, I have found that the joystick is the best way to control the helicopters and the A-10. I use the mouse and keyboard for everything else.

I tried to be a gunner in helicopter, but we never left the ground...lol

The one thing I don't like on the AI side is when I have a small team to command and we are trying to sneak up on enemy. I command the guys to hold fire, be stealthy and they start shotting. Bunch of Cowboys in my group.

I love the tank battles I've created. Commanding the T80 or M1A1 is a blast, and so far the vehicles act better when driving them than those in WWIIonline.

Hope to hit a server game this weekend.

NR

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Get the Return to Castle Wolfenstein Multiplayer DEMO!!!!!

It's awesome. I can barely tear myself away from it.

GET IT NOW! IT'S FREE!
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

I have it, but the servers are hard to get on, when I did get on a server it was fun, even though my FPS was nasty.

NR

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Your FPS were nasty? Buy a new computer!

I had no problem getting on, but I had a bunch of servers with pings less than 50...
    The sun has fallen down

I guess it must have been the first day stuff cause I got some good gaming in this morning...50ping servers too

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Pretty sweet graphics too. There's a great new world of online multiplayer gaming opening up. The next years should be fantastic for AK'ers.
    The sun has fallen down

The online demo for Wolfentsein was fun for a while, but I was getting pretty bored really fast. Of course this probably has a lot to do with it being only one mission and the TKs that are just pissing me off, but hey we will see how it turns out. Anyone know the release date on it?
    pix

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Once this is officially released I think it will be a lot of fun, especially if they start running ladder competitions. I see a lot of Seige type possibilities here. (ex. German side needs to guard a bridge, Allies must blow it up). It would be nice to see them develop game goals which don't always revolve around a "flag".
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.