Hi folks,

Through somewhat shadowy means I recently acquired my latest upgrade - a 667 mhz PIII with an Intel 820 motherboard and 256 mb of RAMBUS memory.

My project for this evening will be the deconstruction of my PII 400 and the installation of all this new hardware.

I am concerned about heat.

The case in which this processor and MB were first installed had an air duct system blowing air from the case fan directly onto the CPU, which has no fan on its heat sink.

My buddy who gave me this stuff kept that case - so I have a PIII 667 with no fan on the sink, and no duct system. To top off the situation, it is overclocked to 733mhz , so I REALLY need to keep it cool. The existing heatsink appears to be immovable, so installing one with a CPU fan is out.

Right now, I am considering cutting a hole in the side of my tower case and installing a second case fan directly above the processor - kind of a brute-force approach. The heatsink on the processor appears to be very efficient - it is cold to the touch when inactive.

I have a "Cyclone" slot fan installed, which goes in one of my empty card slots - but there is no clear air flow from it to the processor because the AGP slot (occupied by my video card) lies between them.

Any advice? C'mon, hardware gurus.

Thanks,
John

------------------
"An armed society is a polite society" - R.A. Heinlein