I had asked Squidly the other day if he owned any guns and I see many of you do. My wife and I have discussed getting guns in the past but never have. We are not hunters, but have absolutely nothing against it. I know its a necessity for population control - I just don't find sitting in a tree stand at 4:30AM in 15 degree weather freezing my nads off as entertaining. Staying in a hotel without room service is "roughing it"!!

You remember that gun club in Beverly Hills Cop 2 (I think it was)?? I want to join one of those, not one of the Rod & Gun type clubs. But, I've only shot a few guns in my life. A couple of hunting rifles and a glock. I don't think my wife has ever fired a weapon before.

So, my question is this. What is the best way to get 'started'? Take gun safety courses and then join a shooting club / range?? I also read a few websites with a glossary explaining how Gauge is determined, caliber measurements, different types of firing mechanisms, etc. How Stuff Works is quite useful!

Thanks in advance for any info.