Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Abaddon
I don't think there's a usually a political litmus test to be a reporter ... I think it has more to do with the fact that conservatives are smart enough to work in fields where they can make a lot of money.
You don't need big dramatic instances of discrimination in journalism to demonstrate the problem. Journalism as an industry only needs to give the impression that conservatives will be mistreated, and they'll stay away on their own.

I would love to work in academia, but the risks of political discrimination are too great. There's no way I'm going to uproot my family and throw away years of my life just to find out whether the liberals in academia are just as narrow-minded today as they were when I was in school. The mere fact that academicians, like journalists, refuse to even discuss issues of their own political bias and discrimination is all the evidence I need to stay away from them, and to tell other conservatives to do the same.

Once they start pledging political neutrality, then maybe the risk is worthwhile. Maybe. Until then, a conservative would be absolutely foolish to train and apply for jobs in journalism or academia.