Thread: Huge win for the good guys!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hylander:

Valid points. I too agree that all the lawsuits benfit no one. Too many folks are so wrapped up in what they think is a violation of their 'RIGHTS'.

Leftist Revisionist history however is the opposite of what modified the original Pledge in the first place. It was fear of Communist Russia and hardcore conservatives that changed the Pledge.

IN GOD WE TRUST:
    It was not used on coins until 1864.
    It was not used on paper money until 1957
    It was not the US Motto until 1956
    It was not in the pledge of alligence until 1954
    It was not used in ceremonies until 1950.

Other GOD facts:

The U.S. Constitution does not contain a single reference to a 'GOD'.

The Declaration of Independence does not contain a single reference to a 'GOD'.

Think deeply about those two lines. Say them outloud. Those are the two most important documents that this country has ever produced. They are the foundation of our society.

So what we see is that most 'GOD' reference stem from fear. They started up after the civil war and again during the cold war (during the Red Scare). Nothing more than scared men thinking that the key to salvation was through the public display of their own beliefs.

Teddy Rosevelt fought this, 'But it seems to me eminently unwise to cheapen such a motto by use on coins, just as it would be to cheapen it by use on postage stamps, or in advertisements.'

President Adams found this, 'As the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquillity [sic] of Musselmen . . . it is declared . . . that no pretext arising from religious opinion shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries'.

Thomas Jefferson fought this, 'No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship'

James Madison fought this, 'And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.'

Thomas Paine fought this, 'The adulterous connection between church and state.'

George Washington fought this, 'The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy'

And finally... why wasn't God mentioned much in goverment during the founding years of this country... here's a little quote from the Encyclopedia Brittanica, 1968, P.420, 'One of the embarrassing problems for the early nineteenth-century champions of the Christian faith was that not one of the first six Presidents of the United States was an orthodox Christian'.

On a slight sidebar: A story of true Patriotism that I saw:

I was in boot camp. One oif the first weeks there it was mine and 2 other guys' job to raise/lower the U.S. Flag. One of the guys and a fellow recruit in my company was a Pole. Not a decendent, but 1st generation, just got off the boat Pole. After raising the flag and while waiting for the music to end, I noticed that he was crying. He was a big guy... looked like an ox farmer... and I imagined that he was simply homesick. As we gathered up to march back to the barracks he saw the questioning look in my and the other recruits eyes; he simply stated, "That is the pretty thing I've ever seen." It wasn't a song. It wasn't a poem. It wasn't John Kerry in his boxers. It was the U.S. Flag and all that it stood for.
    Last edited by [AK]Nuts; 06-14-2004 at 11:46 AM.