Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Hylander View Post
If I were buying an Android phone right now, I'd buy the Incredible hands down.
Which, alas, is limited to Verizon, which is not available to me If I had the choice, I'd look pretty close at the iPhone 4 on Verizon. Don't have the choice.

Don't you find the Incredible screen to be narrow? I just didn't care for it, I prefer the wider screen on my iPhone. But then, I only handled an incredible for maybe 30 seconds, so maybe I judged too quick.

Back to the EVO's battery life, the reviews make for interesting read. For benchmark: my iPhone3G battery is terrible. I can't go through an 8 hour day without having to recharge - and I don't even run it in 3G mode. I've gotten used to it - it's not hard to plug it into my charger in my car, office, home while I'm sitting there. I don't complain too much - I use my iPhone as a mini-laptop, so yea, it's going to suck power. Batt life is reasonable when I'm basically using it either as an off-line movie player (i.e. in an airplane), online when I'm using it only as a phone in idle mode, and when I use it to play music. But if I browse any or use the GPS (which still sucks power, even though the GPS doesn't actually work anymore), then it's drained pretty quick.

The EVO battery life for me (no 4G) sounds to be at least on par with what my iPhone is delivering, and actually a little bit better from what I'm reading. According to the USA Today review, the EVO and iPhone both lasted as long. And you DO have the option of buying a spare battery with a non-iPhone.

I also note that reviewers vary widely on how long the battery actually lasts. One of the biggest factor is how good the signal is. The phone in 3G mode with good signal lasts pretty long. But if weak or roaming, it sucks the juice trying to boost transmission power and constantly searching. Makes sense. Maybe that's why my iPhone batt life blows too.

Here are the specs on batteries:
iPhone 3G = 1150 mAh
iPhone 3GS - 1200 mAh
iPhone 4 = 1.25X (3GS) = 1500 mAh (based on Gizmodo)
Sprint EVO = 1500 mAh
Droid = 1400 mAh
HTC Incredible = 1300 mAH, (upgraded to 1500 mAh - same battery used in the EVO).

So the EVO's battery is quite good. But it still sounds like the Incredible outlasts it. That's where it gets confusing, because all reviews say it's not EVO's bigger screen that's drawing the power, it's the internals. It has the same processors as the Incredible, but interestingly, the Incredibles is underclocked )to <80% speed) to save on battery power. http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Late...e-a_10181.html After the creepy-crawly speeds of my iPhone 3G, I'll take the faster speed over longer battery.

One of the complaints about Apple is it is closed source and you have limited control. With Android, do I have enough control that I can manually adjust the processor clock speed on the fly? Can I adjust how hard it fights to maintain cell tower signal?